Is homeschooling with dyslexia a good idea? Can dyslexic students thrive, even if the parents aren’t specialists (or even certified teachers)?
Let’s be clear: absolutely, yes.
You can homeschool your dyslexic kids, and you’ll do a darn good job of it, too.
Today on the podcast, Marianne Sunderland from Homeschooling with Dyslexia is back to talk about the nitty gritty details of teaching children who learn differently.
Marianne has homeschooled eight kids (seven are dyslexic).
In this episode, she gives us the low-down on teaching dyslexic kids at home, which resources to use, and when to ask for help.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How to teach dyslexic children
- Why Orton-Gillingham works to teach dyslexic kids how to read
- Whether or not to get your child tested and officially diagnosed
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON TO START LISTENING:
“The beauty is allowing them to grow at their natural pace and not be defined by their weaknesses.”Marianne Sunderland
|2:35||Why homeschooling is an excellent choice for dyslexic learners|
|7:21||Let’s talk about the teacher|
|13:15||The magic of following interests|
|15:23||Orton-Gillingham methods for teaching reading|
|17:08||How much phonics? How much reading aloud?|
|20:52||When to get outside help|
|23:27||To test or not to test?|
|27:53||Executive function (or: why your dyslexic child seems so disorganized)|
|30:06||Remediation for older kids with dyslexia|
|31:17||Let the Kids Speak|
|34:38||Sarah wraps it up|
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Marianne Sunderland’s website
- Sarah’s top recommendation: Dyslexia 101
- RAR #175: Is My Child Dyslexic?
- International Dyslexia Association
- Dyslexia Friendly Guide to Buying Homeschool Curriculum
- Ruth Beechick
- When Orton-Gillingham Isn’t Enough
- Signs of Dyslexia (Homeschooling with Dyslexia)
- Marianne’s Classes
- U.S. Rehabilitation Services Administration
- Marianne’s Executive Function Course
- Phonics Games from TeachersPayTeachers (from Emily Gibbons, The Literacy Nest)
BOOKS FROM THIS EPISODE:
RECOMMENDED READING PROGRAMS:
More free resources and booklists
Get the best episodes and reources
from the Read-Aloud Revival