Each year at RAR, we hold a 31-Day Read-Aloud Challenge… it’s not a challenge for you- it’s for your kids!
Kids are encouraged to read out loud (to their pets, their stuffed animals, their siblings, their grandma…) every day for at least 15 minutes during the month of January.
What happens is inevitable:
- Kids who were feeling kind of meh about reading suddenly find themselves having a hard time putting their books down
- Rich connections are made between the child doing the reading and those who are listening
- Struggling readers start to find their feet, beginning to read with more skill and ease.
It’s just an all-around win.
The challenge takes place every January. You can sign up to be notified about our next one in the box below– it’s FREE:
Enter your email below, and we'll make sure you get an invitation to the next
31-Day Read-Aloud Challenge:
This year, we asked the kids which books they enjoyed most during the challenge.
After all, kids read a lot during the challenge! And who better to suggest great read-alouds than the kids who love them so much?
There were a lot of entries, but these 24 showed up time and time again. We’re pretty confident that your kids would enjoy just about anything from this list!
(Scroll beneath the images to see my age recommendations for each title. All links are Amazon affiliate links.)
Need age recommendations for these books?
I’ve actually read every book mentioned here, so I’ll give you a few ideas. Bear in mind, however, that you can read any of these books with the whole family. These are just suggestions if you’re looking for age-specific ideas.
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Berenstain Bears
- Frog and Toad are Friends
- Billy and Blaze
- Mercy Watson
- Adventures of Brambly Hedge
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
- The Green Ember
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Boxcar Children
- Encyclopedia Brown
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- The Ramona Collection
- The Railway Children
- Little House in the Big Woods
- Calvin and Hobbes
- Charlotte’s Web
For our best recommendations, get the whole Read-Aloud Revival booklist:
Get the printable version
Books boys love
And make sure your kids don’t miss out on our next 31-Day Read-Aloud Challenge!