Going to a Homeschool Conference in the coming year? (I’m going to a bunch! You can see details of where to hear me speak below.)
These are my 2 best tips for your next conference (especially if you’re feeling nervous at all):
1. If you’re feeling uncomfortable, introduce yourself to a stranger.
I know this sounds crazy. I promise it’s not.
(Yes, I heard you gasp all the way over here. 😉)
The key is not to do it for you. Do it for them. Do it as an act of love for someone else (who is likely feeling as uncomfortable as you are), and you’ll stop feeling quite so self-conscious.
Find someone who is by herself, and say hello.
To make this easier, come up with a line beforehand. “Hi, I’m Sarah—is this your first time at this conference?” is a great one to use again and again.
2. Choose a single takeaway from each session.
This will help you focus your mind and reduce the feeling of drinking-from-a-firehose that we often get at conferences.
And you’ll probably see better results from making ONE important change than you will from trying to change everything in your homeschool at once.
I talk more about both of these tips in this short video:
I’ll be at all 7 Great Homeschool Conventions in 2020, and would love to meet you there.
Join us for the Real Mom Tour on Thursday evening at each convention (and I promise I’ll do everything I can to help you feel comfortable at the conference). It’s going to be fun!
Going to a conference can be really life-giving, even if you’re shy or an introvert, or you’re battling feelings of discomfort to get yourself there. I hope this helps you be brave!
GREAT HOMESCHOOL CONVENTIONS:
- TEXAS: Fort Worth Convention Center, March 12-14, 2020
- SOUTH CAROLINA: TD Convention Center, March 19-21, 2020
- MISSOURI: St Charles Convention Center, March 26-28, 2020
- OHIO: Duke Energy Convention Center, April 16-18, 2020
- CALIFORNIA: Ontario Convention Center, June 18-20, 2020
- FLORIDA: Prime F. Osborn III Convention Center, June 25-27, 2020
- NEW YORK: Rochester Riverside Convention Center, July 30-Aug 1, 2020
The Great Homeschool Conventions feature dozens of fantastic speakers, special events, a big exhibit hall, and special tracks if you want to focus on something in particular.
➡️Head here: GET YOUR TICKETS TO GHC